When I first heard that Queen Creek Performing Arts was doing 'Joseph', I went to the powers that be and practically begged them to let me make the coat. thanks goodness I have made a reputation (a good one) for myself, and so they said yes. I started be looking at every Joseph coat image on the internet, and even watching youtube to see how the coat flowed. I decided, and the director agreed that we wanted it as close to the Broadway coat as we could. Or at least catch the essence of that image.
I watched the DVD with Donny Osmond and sketched what I wanted to do. The next challenge was to find just the right striped fabric. I was very excited when I found this stripe. I even had a coupon for 50% off. Yay! Then I looked for a pattern that would have the right style of jacket front and sleeves.
To make the squares, I cut triangles of striped fabric, and sewed them into squares. Ugh! Definitely NOT my favorite part, but essential nonetheless.
This is the coat before adding the color wheel underneath. I took it to rehearsal, and 'Joseph' (Brent Slade) try it on. To my great relief, it fit him. Yay! I had only gotten his measurements through email, so I was nervous, but I had sewn for him last year in Seven Brides, so I was pretty sure I was on the right track. I had made six panels with the squares on them, and I safety pinned them on to make sure I had the exact length I wanted them. Then I went home and sewed them on.
Adding the color wheel skirt was not as easy as I though it would be. I ended up with about seven yards of fabric at the bottom. It needs to almost make a full circle, so that was a challenge. I ended up with 14 sections; basically the rainbow, twice. I sewed a gold ribbon down between each section. There are no exposed raw edges.
Brent was good enough to model it for me at rehearsal last Saturday, so that I could get some pictures of it. It always looks better on a live model as opposed to a hanger!